Before you put your shoes on to walk or run the trails and roads, explore the history of the land you will explore. We give great thanks to our partners in the National Park Service, the towns of Sharpsburg and Shepherdstown, and Shepherd University for the privilege of hosting this event.
The entire marathon course is encased in National Park Land, with some brief detours through the country roads and preserved history towns that connect them.
The full marathon is a point to point with a small net elevation loss. You course 4.5 miles Harpers Ferry National Park, cover 10 flat miles on C&O Canal, roll over a country road to Antietam Battlefield for 2 miles, cover 5 rolling miles of the rich land of Antietam, and finish with 4.5 flat to downhill miles into Shepherdstown.
6:00am Shuttles to the marathon start will leave from Shepherd Wellness Center.There will be several buses but all buses will leave at 6am so please arrive by 5:45am.
There will be one shuttle bus leaving from the Shepherdstown Clarion Hotel for hotel guests only at 6am.
6:00 – 7:00am: Late Packet Pick Up at Marathon Start (Harper's Ferry Natioanal Park Vistor's Center)
7:30am – Marathon Start
Important Notes for Marathoners
- There will be a bag drop at the start line, your bags will be taken to the finish.
- Runners will not be able to register to run the marathon on Race Day.
- Shuttles back to the marathon start will take place from 10:30am – 2:30pm from the Bavarian Inn.
- Parking is available at the start at Harper's Ferry Vistor Center and Shepherdstown
- All courses will be open until 2pm to allow participants to experience the rich scenery and history of the course, this gives marathon participants 6.5 hours to complete the course.